This week I was tasked with bringing dessert to soul care, which is our church's version of a weekly community group. Since Kip was out of town and I was taking care of the little lady all on my own, I decided to make something that required no baking, is quick and easy, and is easily adaptable to letting kids help. The fact that they are both delicious and nutritious was just an added bonus.
Powerballs are one of my favorite snacks, and I think they're one of Lucy's favorites now, too, if her ravenous devouring of them is any indication! They're called powerballs because they're packed full of nutrients. They have natural peanut butter, raw honey, flax seeds and almonds, so there is plenty of protein, good fats, omega-3's, vitamins, and energy boosters in these little balls, to name just a few of their health properties. In addition to being full of good, whole foods, these little guys have no sugar or artificial flavors (except for a few chocolate chips and craisins, but even those are optional).
I ate some of these when I was laboring with Lucy at home, and I think the energy they provided gave me the strength I needed to get through birthing her! Kip eats them when he's up late studying, and they have just enough sweetness to seem like a dessert, and plenty of natural energy boosters to keep him alert through late night study hours. I am now going to give these to Lucy in place of cookies or other sugar-filled desserts because I know these will satisfy her desire for sweetness while still providing her with plenty of vitamins and minerals. They are easily freezable, and we usually keep them in the freezer and will pull out a few at a time. After a five minute thaw, they're ready to enjoy.
So, here's how you make these little guys:
1.) Put 1 cup natural peanut butter, 1 cup honey, and 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal in a mixing bowl and either use a mixer or a child to mix together
2.) Add 1/2 cup flaxseeds (ground or whole), 1 cup mini chocolate chips, 1 cup of nuts/dried fruit combined (I usually use 1/2 cup chopped almonds and 1/2 cup craisins, but any nuts or dried fruit will work)
3.) Mix together
4.) Roll into ping-pong sized balls and eat!
Recipe | Powerballs
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup raw honey
3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup flaxseeds, ground or whole
1 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
1 cup any combination of nuts and dried fruit
Mix peanut butter, honey, and oatmeal together. Add in chocolate chips, flaxseeds, nuts and fruit. Mix togethery. Roll into ping-pong sized balls. Eat immediately or store in refrigerator. Can also store long-term in the freezer in air tight, freezer safe bags or containers.
Tip: place these in mini-muffin cups to improve presentation :)

4 comments:
If the cute little girl comes to your house to make them, I think I'll try making some. Sounds like a deeeeeeeeeelishus, albeit healthy, recipe! Love y'all!
LOVE the pictures! This recipe sounds amazing... none of my girls like peanut butter... can you believe it? I might make it for myself though :)
wow look at those dirty hands ;D
By the way I have a giveaway on my blog that you might like :)
http://www.lifeologia.com/back-to-school-treats-giveaway/
By the way, I would like to invite you to a SUMMERIZING event I'm hosting.
Take a look, it would be great if you took part in it ;)
http://www.lifeologia.com/summerizing-summer-in-review/
Post a Comment