The second weekend in July Kip and I turned five. Our marriage did, that is. We were thrilled to get away by ourselves to celebrate, and there will be more coming on our great adventures later, but this post is all about what Lucy did while Kip and I were away.
It was Lucy's first time being away from both of us at the same time. Before this she had only been away from me overnight once before, and it was only for one night and Kip was with her. She's had lots of overnights away from Kip, but I've always been with her. We decided that our anniversary was a great time to accomplish the big milestone of both of us leaving her overnight. We left her for four days and three nights, so it was a pretty big deal.
The way I see it, we love our daughter enough to leave her. Having parents who love each other and are in a committed, healthy marriage is the best thing for Lucy, and that means that Kip and I will make our marriage a priority, which means we will occasionally leave Lucy so we have time to ourselves.
Kip's parents graciously agreed to be our babysitters for four days, and while there was definitely some apprehension and anxiety on both of our parts in leaving her, but we knew we were leaving her in good, loving and capable hands. Grandma and Grandpa love spending time with their granddaughter, and we love providing Lucy with opportunities to spend with them.
We left early on thursday morning, and our anxieties were somewhat relieved when Lucy didn't get upset as we were leaving. She was enjoying her time playing with Grandma, and didn't even cry when we left! That was a huge blessing, and once we got on the road we were able to relax and enjoy our time together. We did call home a few times, but our thoughts were not consumed with Lucy.
As for Lucy, she did great! Everything went smoothly, and she had a great time playing and bonding with her grandparents. Grandma and Grandpa took Lucy on walks around the city, and Grandpa shared his new Boston Whaler hat:
Lucy and Grandma took naps on the couch together. Lucy apparently slept for multiple hours this way! I guess it's just Grandma's special touch, because Lucy has not fallen asleep for us this way since she was a newborn and she's never napped for more than an hour and a half at a time.
In addition to Lucy, we also left Grandma and Grandpa in charge of the cat and dog. I'm not sure if Grandpa or Kota was the initiator (although I have a pretty good idea), but somehow they ended up wrestling on the floor. I'm sure Kota loved it, and based on his face, Grandpa is either having a great time or terrified for his life!
Lucy was clearly unphased by the wrestling going on behind her (one reason we love having a big dog is that Lucy is perfectly comfortable around animals), and she looks like she's having a great time talking to and playing with Grandma (the photographer)
I'm sure this trip was exhausting for Lucy's grandparents as they took over early morning wake up calls! Lucy loves getting into bed with us in the mornings, and I love this picture of Grandpa and Lucy hanging out in bed in the morning.
We are so thankful that Lucy has such wonderful grandparents who love her and enjoy spending time with her! The four days she had with them created some great memories for them and continued to forge a strong bond between grandparents and granddaughter that we hope will only grow stronger as the years continue.
It turns out that accomplishing this big milestone went pretty smoothly!







0 comments:
Post a Comment