Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The not so fun Ikea night

Well, the much anticipated Ikea trip did not go exactly as planned. Our plan was for me to drive Kip into school this morning and pick him up this afternoon and we would head straight there. But that did not happen because I was exhausted this morning at 6am, so Kip rode his bike in. He got home at 6pm, and we left a few minutes later. After 35 minutes in the car we had gone a mile, and had barely crossed the river from Cambridge into Boston. AFter fighting traffic, we arrived at Ikea an hour and 45 minutes later. According to google maps it should have taken 35 minutes, but as you know, after 35 minutes we were in Boston - a mile from home!

We had a lot to do there, so our plan to eat their all you can eat $1.99 pasta and then shop did not happen. So we shopped while starving and rushed to get it all done. So, our fun trip was rather stressful. And they didn't have nearly all of the things I expected them to, so it was really rather disappointing. I felt failed by Ikea tonight.

But we bought a few things, ran back through the store several times to look for things missed, got rather irritated with each other a few times (which we attribute to starvation!), fed a screaming baby, changed the diaper of a screaming baby, loaded the car and went in search of food. 

We found a Dunkin Donuts and Subway, but neither of those were appealing. We had snacked on an ikea cinnamon role in line, so we did not want sweetness, and getting out of the car to order seemed like too much at the moment. So we went to the next exit. There was supposed to be a Wendy's there according to the not-so reliable highway sign. There was not. Our choices were Outback and Dunkin Donuts. So we went to the next exit, where there was a HUGE mall. Surely there would be a burger joint. Nope. We had a Bertucci's, a Cheescake Factory, and a Dunkin Donuts. So we got back on the highway. And then we missed our split off to the next highway and ended up who knows where. And found a Dunkin Donuts. Seriously, Massachusetts is in love with the place. So we looked for a place to turn around, but had to drive a mile before finding a place. Finally we found a spot, and it happened to be the parking lot of a Burger King! So, two whoppers, a large fry and coke, and four scratch off game pieces later we were feeling much better and had found our way back to the correct highway.

We finally made it home five minutes after the soundly sleeping Lucy decided to wake up - around 11:30pm. Her power nap gave her all the energy she needed! We were exhausted and she was energized . . . what a fun night! 

All kidding aside, though, even when all I want her to do is sleep, I can't resist her little smiles and laughs. She is just so cute! I'm so thankful to have her and so amazed by the little person that she is, that I can't help but love her even more during these times.

As I'm writing this, she is lying in her cradle hopefully falling asleep. I normally get her to sleep before putting her down since we still haven't mastered babywise, but tonight I decided to put her down before she was asleep. She's been quiet so far, so hopefully that means she is asleep and I can go to sleep now to.

Starvation, traffic, Ikea, and Lucy can be exhausting!  Goodnight all- well, hopefully :-)

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Hey sweet girl! I think we've all been there at some point. But bravo you survived!! :) Miss you guys so much and I really enjoy getting on here to see what you're up to!
Love, Kristie

Sarah said...

I love reading about your adventures! I can TOTALLY relate! And as for babywise... well when you figure it out, let me know, because I'm on baby #3 and I'm still getting up in the middle of the night (and she's nearly 6 months!). It took "crying it out" for the twins and I'm just not ready to do that yet. ANYWAY... love your stories... keep 'em coming! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...