Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Rest Day Recipe | Tat Soi Veggie Pasta

This past week our CSA/Farm Share began! I have been anxiously awaiting this, since I have been eager to eat locally grown organic produce on a weekly basis. The first week, we received a lot of greens, since it's still early in the season, and I have enjoyed finding creative ways to use these nutrient-rich and interesting vegetables. Here's a look at week one's produce:


You might see a few things you don't recognize. I certainly didn't recognize all of the items. We have a CSA where we get to pick and choose certain items, which I really like. This week, we got the choice between Bok Choy and Tat Soi. I had no idea what tat soi was, but it was pretty and I decided it would be fun to experiment with. 



Tat soi seemed to me to be a mix between cabbage and spinach, so I decided to incorporate it into a pasta, and the result was something we all loved and will definitely be having again! 

Here's the recipe:

1.) First, put a box of pasta onto boil. 
I happened to have a box of whole grain penne pasta, but I think any kind of small pasta would work well. I will probably use rotini or farfalle next time.


2.) While the pasta is boiling, heat some sesame oil and add some minced garlic. We're big garlic people, so I used a lot, but you can adjust this based on your personal tastes.


3.) Once the garlic starts to brown, add some shredded carrots and sliced mushrooms and cook until tender. Set aside in separate bowl.


4.) When the pasta is nearly done, melt some butter in skillet and when it is heated add the drained pasta and mix to coat pasta. 

5.) Once pasta is coated, add garlic/carrot/mushroom mixture as well as tat soi and sage, and heat until tat soi begins to soften and wilt


6.) Turn off heat and add in grated cheese. I used asiago, and because we're such cheese lovers, I also added in some feta. In our house, we believe feta makes everything 'bettah! Save a small amount of the cheese to garnish plates.


7.) Put into bowls, garnish with cheese and serve!


Tat Soi Veggie Pasta

1 box of small pasta
1 Tablespoon of sesame oil
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
5-6 carrots, shredded
8-10 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 stick butter
1-3 bunches of tat soi
1/4 cup of chopped or minced sage
1/2-1 cup of hard/sharp cheese, grated

Boil pasta. Heat oil in pan, add minced garlic, and brown. Add carrots and mushroom and saute. Remove vegetable mixture from pan and set aside. Melt butter in pan and add cooked pasta and mix to coat. Add vegetable mixture and tat soi and heat until tat soi begins to wilt from heat. Remove from heat.  Add in most of cheese and stir to melt. Serve in bowls and garnish with remaining cheese.

3 comments:

Drew and Lindsey said...

This looks amazing! Where did you find the recipe?

Anonymous said...

Looks GREAT! And I loved your little feta joke. :o) You're cute.
Steph

Beth W. said...

The recipe is all mine! I just started experimenting and throwing things in and this is what came out!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...