Sunday, November 15, 2009

The time to get organized

UPDATE:
The cat killed the bee and when the husband got home and inspected it he informed me that it wasn't a bee, just a giant fly. The cat is getting special treatment from me tonight, though!

My husband is at the coffee shop doing homework and my cat is hiding somewhere, which means there is no one around to kill the giant bee flying around my house right now. I've been terrified of bees since my childhood. When I was about five I stepped on a yellow jacket nest and when I was about 10 a wasp stung me on the head. And so now, instead of being the resourceful adult navy wife that should just kill the bee and continue with my peaceful evening, I am sitting in a dark room blogging to take my mind off of it while I wait for the husband or the cat to reemerge and do it for me.

So I thought I would take this time to share a little about my efforts to create and maintain a more organized  life. Some people handle a disorganized life or "controlled chaos" very beautifully and effectively. I am not one of those people. I have found that when there is no order to things in my daily life I am affected spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

So, I am taking steps to be more purposeful in these areas of my life, which includes being organized in the daily management and maintenance of my home, in the daily schedule I keep, in the way I go about having a quiet time with God and pursue relationship with him, in the efforts I make to exercise my mind in the pursuit of learning and practicing a healthy thought life, in physical exercise and bodily discipline, and in both acknowledging and training my emotions and feelings.

It is true that I am in a season of life where I am busy in a way I have never known. It is also true, however, that I am personally prone to the temptation of twisting the knowledge of the busyness of this season into justification for a mismanaged or unmanaged life. So for now, it is time to fight against sinful tendencies in my heart to justify a disorganized life as a "season." For, as the quote at the top of this blog says, "how we spend our days is how we spend our lives." And I'm going to choose to spend my life glorifying God in all of the the areas of my spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional life.

Over the next few weeks I will go into more detail about how I intend to practically do this, one area at a time. I was going to share that in this post, but have realized that would take way too much time. Also, I think spreading it out into several blogs will also serve as a good reminder and form of accountability for me as I seek to apply these new processes in my life.

Also, the cat failed in her attempts to kill the bee, so I need to go call my husband and ask him to come home.


5 comments:

Becca said...

you're too cute. I had the most horrible shower the other morning because there was a giant spider and Dre was sound asleep and nothing can wake him up so me calling him from the other room sure didn't work. I felt like I need a massage after because I was so tense.

also, I noticed you're reading "Relationships"? best book I read this year. I thought it was excellent and very helpful for my dear care group girls.

Sarah said...

I totally understand what you're saying! When my house/schedule/life is in chaos, my spirit/mind/emotions are in chaos... and believe me, all of me is in chaos right now! Can't wait to hear more about this, I need to learn from you!

Jen and Justin said...

Kitty cat needs to earn her keep! We tell our cats it's conditional love in our house... they kill the bugs or we don't love them. Ha ha! Not really but it's fun to joke about. Hope the bee is dead by now!

erin w. said...

I can relate, although my big fear is mice! :-) Can't wait to hear your new management/maintenance plan!

Becky said...

Bless your heart! I hope Kip killed the stupid bee post haste! You shoulda been here the night the six inch (i'm not kidding!) spider suddenly appeared right into the middle of my living room! I didn't sleep a wink that night cuz I didn't have a thing to kill the stupid spider with. Throwing a book on top of it DID NOT WORK! And then, of course, he got away! But he bit the dust the next day when I sprayed the house with enough insecticide to rid Taiwan of every pest here, and that's a lot of pests!

As to chaos . . . well, my level of tolerance for chaos is pretty high, but there does come a time when, yes, even I have to get organized.

Love you.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...